Waterbed is one of the early-invented and popular mattresses for centuries. Though it is not its golden time anymore like back in 1980, among other new mattress types, it is now still a good choice for sensitive sleepers who need plush experience and relieved pressure at mid-night.
A. Overall introduction of waterbed mattress
1. What’s inside a waterbed?
People said that waterbed was first introduced in 1968 by a university student in his Master’s thesis. Then, it became so popular during the 1908s that around 20 percent of Americans owned a waterbed in their house. Like its name, a waterbed is actually a water-filled vinyl mattress. They can be repaired with practically any vinyl repair kit.
In the early stage, many inexpensive mattresses only have a single water container. This leads to significant wave motion inside the mattress when water is pumped in and it needs a period of time to stabilize. When people sit on the side, they easily slide off the bed.
As renovation was applied, later versions employed wave-reducing methods, including fiber batting. Thanks to those advancements, the waterbed mattress partially reduces wave motion or even eliminates all wave motion during use.
From time to time, it has been renovated from filling by a hose to filling by bladders and some modern models are equipped with temperature control devices. Originally, the water temperature will be roughly as that of the room air if no heater is used.
Therefore, in its construction, there are some inches of insulation on top of the water chamber in order to control the bed temperature as well as partially eliminate the body-contouring benefit. For these reasons, most waterbeds now have a heater system controlled by a thermostat and set to personal preference.
2. Waterbed types
Even though there are innovation stages throughout the years and extra elements added to new generations of waterbeds.
It can be classified into 2 basic kinds:
- Hardside waterbed: this is a classic type which has an outer frame made from wood. It looks like a traditional bed with all-in-one structure or small tubes inside. Headboard, footer or drawers are often supplemented in some advanced models.
- Softside waterbed: Wooden frame is replaced by foam bolsters surrounding the inner water bag which makes it lighter. It is covered by fabric like a box spring.
- Softside waterbed is usually used with standard sheet size whereas a hardside one will require you a California size. That is sometimes a point to consider between 2 types before you purchase.
Apart from structure, in ranges of water flow, there are sub-categories like waveless, free flow and semi waveless.
- Waveless waterbed: This type contains several layers of fiber inserts and/or baffles to control the water motion and maximize support in parallel. Frequently, the premium mattresses contain additional layers in the center called lumbar support.
- Semi-waveless waterbed: It contains a few fiber layers to control the water motion and increase support to the base level and human body.
- Free flow waterbed: People call it a full wave mattress. It contains water only without baffles or inserts.
3. How beneficial is waterbed?
- It’s easy and effortless to clean. You don’t need to wash or dry but scrub by vinyl cleaner to polish its cover. Dirts, dead skin cells, hair no longer go inside the mattress.
- The waterbed will keep your body warm during cold nights by a heater integrated to the bed or cool the surface in the summer for a refreshing sleep.
- Right after you put your body down to the bed, it fits your form and makes you comfortable during your sleep regardless there’s anyone aside.
- Waterbeds can ease the pressure on your back and spine, relieving pains by its softness.
- A good waterbed can be used for up to 10 to 15 years – that’s considered a long term investment compared to a traditional foam mattress.
Although advantages of waterbed are undeniable, there’re still some drawbacks that users should know in prior to purchase like accidental leakage, unregular bedding, careful operation and maintenance, etc. An issue may arise if you use a waterbed with a heater and there’s a power outage, which makes it too cold to sleep on, especially in the winter.
B. 7 best waterbeds you will definitely love
Let’s have a look at 7 best waterbeds you should buy for you and your families
1. California King Waveless Hardside Waterbed Mattress
The waterbed is made in the U.S by US Water Mattress who has experience in premium waterbed manufacturing for more than 40 years. 84 x 72 x 9 inches of dimension will work with your California king bed, but it weighs pretty heavy (nearly 38 pounds) due to hard size design that may be inconvenient to move around.
1.1. Pros and cons of a California King Waveless Hardside Waterbed Mattress
- Relatively reasonable price
- Easy to mix and match with grey color
- Nearly waveless
- 7 layers of fiber for firmer base
- No heater is packed together. You need to buy a separate one to use with the bed
- Heavy to move and may affect the floor or dwelling that it is put on
1.2. Design of a California King Waveless Hardside Waterbed Mattress
7 layers of fiber from the top to bottom help you sink into the mattress for a relaxing sleep. They’re soft enough to enhance your blood circulation while still connecting together to avoid sliding.
This model is recommended as top waterbed because it commits 99% waveless with 1-2 seconds of movement. In addition, reinforced corners in high quality fabric support lifetime durability which costs only less than $300.
2. California King 95% Waveless with Lumbar Support
In comparison to free flow waterbed type, this 95% waveless with lumbar support waterbed mattress lets you feel very little movement while you are on it. Contour Mid Body Support combined with middle fiber sink your body more comfortably.
2.1. What are the strengths of this waterbed?
- Charcoal grey color stays away from dirt
- Lifetime warranty service
- Quick assembly with guidelines
- No hump at all
- Lumbar support mid body
2.2. What are some weaknesses you should anticipate?
Some claims pose the risk of leak when they use this California King 95% Waveless with Lumbar Support waterbed. If users are not clever to keep knives or scissors away from its edges or simply implement heavy duty activities on the bed, water can come out occasionally.
Even though plastic liners will reduce the damage, progress of emptying, patching, refilling, and reheating might be a hassle.
2.3 What are the reasons that customers rate this waterbed mattress high?
Most people highly appreciate this made in American waterbed because of its comfort as even after 1 year in use, it still retains support. There’s no stretching or discoloration along the time.
Additionally, people suffer from back pain like it much since they can’t sleep on a firm mattress, this waterbed is plush and friendly to their body. The warm surface by the heater resembles their body temperature, then makes them more relaxed.
3. California King 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Lumbar Support
This waterbed is plush enough to make you feel like floating on the ocean but still maintains firm when you turn.
3.1. Why should I choose California King 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Lumbar Support?
- Only 29 pounds for a California King size
- Acceptable prize
- Installation kit is inclusive
- Lumbar support
- Some seconds of movement
- Smell from vinyl
3.2. How a California King 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Lumbar Support satisfy you?
3000 gallons of water are needed to fill the mattress. It’s a hardside type in dark blue color which is convenient for you to keep clean.
When there’s pressure on it, the mattress stops moving after from 5 to 6 seconds. Plus, a layer of lumbar aids your lower back to keep the same level as your whole body, it’s good for your spine and blood circulation. The set does come with a fill kit and 4 Oz bottle, makes set up easy in a wink. Therefore those above elements make it deserve one of the best waterbeds in the range.
4. Queen 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Fill Kit and 4oz Conditioner
This is the only Queen size choice in these top 7 waterbeds and there are always reasons users rate this Queen 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress one of the best waterbed mattresses.
4.1. Benefits of buying a Queen 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Fill Kit and 4oz Conditioner
- Good lumbar support for your lower body
- 2 ports to fill or drain water conveniently
- Fill kit and conditioner are included
- Vinyl smell can be felt by sensitive users
- No liner is included in product
4.2. How to use Queen 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Fill Kit and 4oz Conditioner efficiently?
It belongs to a hardside waterbed, that means you need to buy a frame with liner to use it safely. Lying down on the waterbed and you can feel the difference in the next morning affected by 4 resin bonded fiber layers.
In addition, 2 Oz layers of lumbar support mild body parts either you lie or sit on the mattress.
Customers will receive a complete kit of mattress, fill kit and a 4 Oz premium conditioner bottle ready for installation.
5. Queen 3000L 80% Semi Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Fill Kit and 4oz Conditioner
The waterbed is designed for a queen size bed of 60 inches x 84 inches with a hardside frame.
80% semi waveless option with 6-8 seconds of movement is less firm than 95% or 90% waveless ones but still performs better than free flow mattress. Heavy duty vinyl cooperating with reinforced corners keep the sheet stationary. Moreover, fiber in 3 layers is strongly connected for less movement and sliding.
- Produced by established manufacturer US Waterbed Mattress
- Accessories are attached
- High quality fiber covering
- Hardside waterbed requires extra frame and liners
- Semi waveless
6. U.S. Water Super Single 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress
It’s no wonder why the bed is preferred by customers as the best waterbed in this size category.
Super single size waterbed rarely found in the market is now available for users. The size of 48 x 84 inches is equivalent to a California twin.
Produced by US Waterbed Mattress with nearly 50 years of history, Super Single 90% Waveless Waterbed Mattress is equipped with premium soft fibers in 4 layers on the top and bottom to deliver the most comfortable experience.
Additional 2 layers of contour fiber help your back stay straight to your head and leg. It is not totally waveless but 90% waveless, leading to 5-7 seconds of movement.
- 25 pounds of weight for easy move
- Small size fits kids or teens
- Acceptable price of around $200
- Made in the U.S
- 4 layers of soft fibers on 2 vertical sides
- Frame and accessorie are not included with mattress
7. Super Single 80% Semi Waveless Waterbed Mattress with Lumbar
The waterbed is designed in a comfortable size for a single person or guest bed. 3 layers with supporting lumbar is good for a balanced and healthy sleeping posture as well.
You will need 50-60L water in the mattress to be ready for use. The waterbed weighs only 14 pounds which is easy to move around in the room. However, it is rated at 80% semi waveless, it means water inside still moves in 6-7 seconds after you sit on it.
- Light weight of 14 pounds
- Small size for individual use
- Contour mid body support
- High quality vinyl at all corners
- Less water use
- Produced by a high profile brand
- Longer time of movement
Waterbed mattress is a compact option because of available material to fill or drain, which can be seen clearly when users move accommodation or just refresh their bedroom. It is also an optimal choice for temperature-adjustable mattress and useful pressure relief therapy for back pain patients resulting from better sleep experience.
Like other mattress types, it has pros and cons, and is useful for some but dangerous for others. Another factor is that price can vary greatly based on each person’s needs, preferences, and the size of bed, but that cost will be definitely worth bearing.