Last update on 2022-07-04 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
Innerspring, also known as coil mattress, is made using an internal coil support system that helps conform to the sleeper's body. A higher number of coils mean higher quality of sleep. Innerspring mattresses can fit all sleepers types including back, side and stomach sleepers.
One of the most important aspects to choose an innerspring is coil construction. There are four main types you should take into account including continuous coils, bonnell, offset and pocket coil in order from lowest to highest price.
This type of mattress still remains popular today because of its affordability, various firmness levels, and easy transport. However, an innerspring may have a shorter lifespan than other mattress types after springiness and bounce increase. Remember you pay for what you get, you might replace a new one just after a few years.
2. Memory foam
Memory foam is a great choice for side sleepers since it provides the shoulder and hip support. It gradually conforms to your shape and slowly bounces back as you sleep. Memory foams mattresses contain several foams layers that reduce pressure points while being supported.
Thanks to its extra softness, it not only helps you feel ease of pain but also prevents aches and pains. It is also resistant to dust mites and other allergens. Last but not least, it is well-known for durability since it can stay in a good condition for up to 10 years.
On the other hand, memory foam mattresses are hotter than other types and it can be heavy for transport. After using it for a long time, the foam may no longer bounce back quickly. This issue may lead to body aches and back pain as your body is not supported and cradled properly.
People using memory foam tend to sleep hotter because the foam needs to keep heat to support the body. Gel particles infused into the memory foam mattress reduce the heat and make it naturally cooler. You'll stay cool while you sleep throughout the night.
Gel memory foam is slightly different than normal memory foam, so you should test it to get full experience. Also, gel-infused foam is more responsive to movements. But similar to memory foam, it is made using synthetic materials.
The only issue is that the cooling effect may not last long as expected and sometimes it is costly.
If you are looking for an eco-friendly product, natural latex is a great consideration. It also provides pressure relief like memory foam mattresses but more bouncy and less heat. Because it is naturally made, it is resistant to mould, dust mites and free of allergen.
Latex beds are manufactured in two ways including Dunlop and Talalay, delivering different levels of quality.
Latex mattresses are ideal for pain relief, according to physical therapists and chiropractors. It is considered one of the most durable types of mattresses.
Otherwise, it is heavier than other mattress types, which requires more effort to move. Latex mattresses are more costly than traditional innerspring or memory foam mattresses.
Water is used to primarily support mattresses; that is why sleepers feel like floating on water surfaces and it makes mattresses very soothing. A chamber of water included in a waterbed can be in a free-low or limited-flow chamber. You can also adjust waterbeds depending on your weight.
Thanks to barriers interfering with water waves, waterbeds are ideal for back pain sleepers. If you have sleep partners, you can even adjust settings such as water temperature or firmness if you both have different preferences.
Waterbeds still have some cons like its heavy weight. You need more effort to transport, move even a short distance. It is also time-consuming to set it up and sometimes it may leak.
An airbed is supported by a primary air chamber padded with foam or fiber upholstery. You can adjust the air chamber, allowing you to customize the firmness level of the mattress. Airbeds are good for back sleepers and couples with different preferences.
Airbeds are made of PVC material, preventing off-gassing and you don’t have to worry about sagging that’ll be an issue in a traditional mattress. Some products allow you to customize you and your partner’s needs.
The big issue with airbeds is a short lifespan.
Pillowtops, also known as Euro-top mattresses, contain a layer of padding that can be some inches on the top layer of the mattress.
The pillowtop layer can be made of different materials like cotton, foam, latex, wool, and fiberfilm, allowing it to offer different functions such as cooling, bounce, improved comfort, and durability. Because it is soft and cushiony, you can choose the softness level and generally padded with innerspring mattresses.
Pillowtop can help mattresses quickly bounce back and feel cooler. It doesn't require much effort to wash or clean but it is expensive and may be too soft for some sleepers, especially for overweight ones.
8. Adjustable bed
If you find it difficult to choose which mattress is best among different mattress types, adjustable beds would be a great consideration.
You can customize to your every need. For example, you can elevate your head or prop your legs up. It is ideal for sleepers with health problems such as muscle pain, heartburn, sleep apnea, etc. As its name suggests, an adjustable bed is the most flexible and versatile type among mattress types.
With an adjustable bed, you enjoy your sleep experience most in your own room. But, be aware of a few of its drawbacks. It can cost you an arm and a leg, and you also expect maintenance costs higher. It is not easily moved or lifted because it is heavy. And its unique size can make you find it more difficult to choose the right sheets.
Top 5 mattresses based on real customers.
1. Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
For those who have difficulty sleeping with traditional mattress types, this Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam is truly ideal for them. The smell of green tea will make you feel fresh as well as the memory foam is well known for easing pains.
- It is a combination between green tea and Activ charcoal that shapes your body and leaves you feeling no aches and pain.
- 3 foams with different functions include pressure relief, airflow enhancement, high-density base support that is well-suited side sleepers.
- It had Certipur US certified - a certification for durability.
- It was compressed into one shipping box for convenient delivery.
- The warranty time is 10 year.
- It may take up to 72 hours to expand to its original shape after unboxing the mattress.
- It is only ideal for sleepers with average weight, not for extremely overweight ones.
The best thing about this mattress is the green tea component that makes users feel refreshed after waking up. Memory-foam mattress is widely known for ease of pains and aches. For sleepers struggling with traditional mattresses, this type is probably ideal for them. The lifetime span of a memory foam mattress is normally 8 to 10 years as it has the ability to bounce back to its original shape quickly.
To keep the mattress in a good condition, we highly recommend you not to remove the mattress cover.
Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress provides excellent features, which helps make the ideal mattress.
2. Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
If the Zinus 12 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress can't satisfy you, let's have a look at another option: Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress.
- It is a hybrid mattress - a result of the combination between hypoallergenic memory foam and innerspring mattress.
- The foam layer comforts the shape of the sleeper's body while the innerspring provides the support and durability of the mattress.
- With a medium-firm level, it is suitable for kids and for guest’ bedroom.
- It offers a 10-year warranty package.
- Because of its complicated components, you may sometimes find it more expensive than other mattress types with the same quality.
The hybrid mattress is a clever and innovative combination if you find hard how to choose a mattress after experiencing latex, memory foam, innerspring and others already. For people struggling to sleep hot but still enjoy memory foam, this type of mattress may be the best solution.
The only issue is that the hybrid type is expected to be paid higher sometimes.
This customized product delivers three key functions including feel, support and temperature. It is the best-rated hybrid mattress based on our testing and research.
3. Classic Brands Cool Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 10-Inch Mattress
If you are a sleeper afraid of heat, this Classic Brands Cool Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 10-Inch Mattress is much suitable for you.
- Gel particles draw heat away from the sleeper’ body and create a cooler and plusher sleep surface.
- Orthopedic support with high-density base foam helps reduce pressure points and align the body.
- Open-cell design provides greater circulation.
- It is resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites.
- It has Certipur US certified - a certification for durability and performance.
- Its warranty time is 10 years.
- It may be unsuitable for people who tend to sleep cold.
It is the best cooling mattress among our picks thanks to its combination between open-cell and gel-infused memory foam. Gel naturally creates cooling properties while open-cell helps reduce heat of traditional memory foam and keep sleepers stay cool. This is the best mattress to buy in summertime.
From our reviewers, it keeps sleepers from overheating and sweating at night and waking up during the night as well. So, if you are a very hot sleeper, you’ll appreciate it.
4. Tuft & Needle Original Queen Adaptive Foam Mattress
In case of wanting a mattress consisting of all advantages like easing pains, owning cool features, easy to move, etc., pick this Tuft & Needle Original Queen Adaptive Foam Mattress.
- An open-cell design adjusts to you as you move.
- It is a cool-sleeping mattress with technology advancement than latex and memory foam.
- It has Certipur US certified and GREENGUARD Gold, which means the product is certified free of certain harmful chemicals and materials.
- It is even acceptable for school and healthcare facilities.
- Its warranty timeline is 10 years and 100-night sleep trial.
- The compressed mattress is simply unboxed.
- You must allow up to 72 hours for full expansion and odor removal.
- It may be too plush for sleepers who are overweight.
- Some people complain about its off-gassing issue
Tuft & Needle Orgianical Queen Adaptive Foam Mattress is a perfection combination between comfort and support, as well as firm and plush. It delivers pressure relief, body support, cooling properties, and compatibility with most platform frames, box springs and foundations. We think among all mattress types, this is a great choice for sleep partners, especially for average weight people.
We think this product is ideal for most sleeper types. If you are unsatisfied with the product for any reason, you can return it then get a full refund during the 100-night trial period.
5. Signature Sleep Memoir 8" Memory Foam Mattress
If your sleep partner is rolling over all night creating sound, and you are trying to find a mattress that helps you to solve it. Let the Signature Sleep Memoir 8" Memory Foam Mattress get it done!
- It has 2 layers of foam: the 2-inch foam layer on top provides balanced support and eliminates motion transfer while the 6-inch high density foam layer delivers exceptional edge to edge sleep support.
- Foam is free of PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP, and certain harmful chemicals.
- VOC emission level is low, less than 0.5 PPM, free of phthalates regulated by the Consumer Safety Product Commission and meeting the federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633.
- The soft breathable knit fabric provides a comfortable sleep surface.
- It effectively distributes body weight and has a fire radiant barrier.
- It takes 48 hours to fully expand to its original shape.
- It may be only suitable for light sleepers.
- Users should allow it a certain time to fully rise before lying on it.
If you feel annoying when your partner gets up or rolls over, this item could be a great consideration for you. Even though it is soft and plush on the surface, you could not feel your partner’s movements. It also can be used with adjustable beds.
Among our picks today, we rate Signature Sleep Memoir 8" Memory Foam Mattress the best mattress for couples.
Choosing an appropriate mattress is not a simple job for several people. There are many things you should consider, but below are some of the most important factors that may affect your choices:
1. Your budget
A mattress is an expensive item in most families. That is the reason why the budget is a really crucial factor. Besides some high-quality mattresses with exorbitant prices, there are also many products meeting the basic demands at much more affordable prices.
2. Mattress Size
The first thing you must care about is the size of the mattress you need. If you love a spacious bed, you should consider a queen-sized mattress. That may be a little big for an individual, but you will be much more relaxed to have extra space.
3. Sleeping Positions
Another thing you should take into consideration is your sleeping positions. While almost all mattresses are designed for satisfying a wide range of sleepers, some mattresses work best for particular sleeping positions.
4. Sleeping Preferences
In fact, if you do not set on a certain sleeping position, you should think about sleeping preferences before buying a new mattress. Maybe you prefer a firm feel, soft feel, cool sleep, etc. These ideas will help you narrow down the options and make the best decisions.
With so many different types of mattress in the market, you may be confused to make your final purchase which is the best mattress to buy. If this is the case, we hope this article is instructive for you. You should spend a certain time to read the whole article then compare all types with your needs. Or you can simply take our top picks today for your consideration.